Monday, November 23, 2015

Warm jackets for the kids!

Winter is slowly but surely creeping up on us whether I like it or not,
and it doesn't look like we will be getting a summer house somewhere in the
southern hemisphere this year (or any other year for that matter).
I guess I had a feeling this would be the case and I'm glad I bought some lovely
wool fabric at Mood Fabrics when I was in N.Y. with my besties celebrating
our big Four Zero this fall.

I used those beautiful fabrics to make jackets for my two youngest ones.


It was the loveliest day when we took our photos so be ready for picture overload in this post!
I was going to blog about the jackets in separate posts but there are some discount codes
going on that I didn't want you to miss out on.

I'll start with the young dude.


For him I used The Jude Jacket pattern from Shwin Designs.


I made him a size 7 since this jacket is quite fitted and I wanted to make sure he
could wear a thick sweater underneath and I didn't want to make a jacket that would
only last for a short time.


I need to fix the three lowest buttons, I had to hurry up and finish before we
lost the lighting for our photoshoot.  I usually don't like to go back to my projects
after I finish them but this time I will because we absolutely love this jacket!
So for the rest of this post please ignore my sloppy button sewing.


The pattern comes with an optional chest pocket.  I knew my boy would like pockets
to carry all the treasures he finds along the way so I made the pocket piece a little
bigger, I think about an inch, and added lining to make it a bit sturdier.  And as you can see
placed them lower.


I bought some leather elbow patches at Stoff og Stil and used for the crest on the sleeve and
for some contrast on one the pockets.  The buttons are from Stoff og Stil as well.


AAAATSJU!!
I fully lined his jacket.  I used Heavy Metal by Whistler Studios from Windham fabrics
I bought from Glam Fabrics.
His sweater I blogged about here and his pants here.
Oh and his hat is knitted by my mom!


This pattern is great and if you only sew it with the facings and not fully lined
 it would be a very fast project.
You should definitely sign up for Shwin Designs newsletter NOW!
She has some amazing black Friday deals going on for subscribers this weak.

Lets check out the little Lady of the house now!


For her I made the Michelle Jacket also a Shwin Designs pattern.


I made hers in size 5 and it is a bit roomy but as with Viktors
that's what I was going for.
I know the back pleat is going in the wrong direction, you can't win them all!


I love the effect of the piping and those side pockets are so cute!
I used the same buttons as for Viktors jacket.


Anita was so happy finally getting some new mommy made clothes, it has been
a while since I made her something so it was long overdue.


Her jacket is fully lined as well.  I used some cotton + steel fabrics bought
from Miss Matatabi for the lining.
Her dress is the Maggie Mae also from Shwin Designs, blogged about here.
She is also wearing a grandma made hat.


Check out the photobomber!


I'm so glad I finally tackled making jackets for the kids and even though it was a bit challenging
it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.  The only thing is that it is a bit time consuming,
since each jacket is basically two jackets because of the lining.
But it was a fun challenge and well worth the time.  I love that there are no
exposed seams.


Cutest kids ever - if I say so myself!

Now don't forget to sign up the the Shwin Designs newsletter for the
discount codes.  There is something special for girl patterns on Wednesday,
for boy patterns on Thursday and then storewide Friday through Monday.



The jacket patterns were given to me for my honest opinion and I love them!




Love
Dagbjört.
























1 comment: